Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fact or Opinion

It's the name of a game we made up on long road trips back in KY. I would make a statement such as, "Ice cream tastes good," and the kids would have to decide if it was a FACT or OPINION. Get it? Here we go. Baseball is a sport. (Fact) Soccer is a sport. (Fact) Baseball is a better sport than soccer. (and it's at this point that I would have to explain to the kids that even though you may completely agree with the statement, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a fact - nevertheless and in this case, opinion) Waiting in oppressive mid-day heat for hours to watch your son run one race at a district track meet (and hoping they come in 3rd or worse so there is no possible way for them to advance to the next track meet in Richfield, UT) is worse than watching a soccer game end in a tie. (FACT! Hard to imagine, but still a Fact)
I've mentioned in previous posts that I am an Eagle Scout. For the most parts, I loved scouts. Sure, I faked sick at the Klondike Derby so I didn't have to take part in all the silly snow games. No, I don't remember any knots other than the square, clove hitch, and granny. Yes, I pretty much bagged scouting altogether once I received my Eagle 3 months after my 13th birthday - but I'm not against camping. We just haven't made it much of a priority for the past 15 years. So you can imagine the joy in my boys eyes when we brought this tent home today in preparation for Fathers and Sons outing next week.
Drew's exact words were, "I'm so happy right now!"
We were just going to set it up in the house, but they insisted on sleeping out back. As I tucked Jack in, he asked what if there's a tornado. I told him that the forecast was clear for tonight, but there might be coyotes.
And a quick ode to the Mothers in my life. This is a metaphor of our relationship. My family needs someone who will take the bull by the horns. Love you Shana
Love you Mom - I'm happy. I think we all are.
My awesome Grandma Sullivan - amazing woman.
Best Mother-in-law I could ever have hoped for.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Spence....I still hold to my wish. Happy children and I'm so thankful your children have a wonderful mother. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate track meets. That tent looks familiar, did you get it at Costco? Hooray for father and sons...I can't wait for the day when Russ is taking four boys with him.

    ReplyDelete