It's weekends like this past one that really gets me thinking, "Why do we do this?" On Friday, Seth had two baseball games in Santa Clara, Drew had a soccer game in St. George, and Laynee had a track meet in Hurricane. I was able to make it Seth's games and Drew's soccer game while Shana watched Laynee run her mile. They all did great. Laynee broke the Freshman record for the mile at Desert Hills High School, Drew's team beat the top ranked La Roca from up north in their soccer game and Seth won both his games on Friday in the first day of a two day tournament. In my mind, I was still trying to justify how it is that we allow our lives to get so busy or more importantly - why?!
So here's my thoughts - Life is full of disappointments and failure. We can't avoid it. We will all fall down. What we do after we fail constitutes who we are and what we will become - both temporally and spiritually. We're giving our kids the opportunity to do hard things and fail often. I know there's other ways to learn but this is one that we employ. I'll now get off my soap box. The next day Laynee broke the school record for the 2 mile. Drew was down in Mesquite playing another soccer game that we couldn't make it down to, and Seth played 3 games on Saturday...and that was our weekend.
Between our multiple trips from Santa Clara to Hurricane, a very hungry and frustrated Jack fell asleep. Surely, visions of sugar plums were dancing through his head...or sugar anything.
Seth's Saturday tournament in a bit more detail consisted of an early loss to a good Snow Canyon Warrior baseball team. It was a hard fought loss (an opportunity to fail and then see how the kids would respond - right?) Well, they came back to play their 1pm game with vigor beating the Canyon View Falcons by the mercy rule. With a 3-1 record and a favorable run differential, they had made their way into the championship to once again face the Snow Canyon Warriors they had lost to that morning.
I couldn't decide which picture I liked better so I included both. Like I've said before, someday a lucky girl will take him home to meet her parents.
With the bases loaded and no outs and the winning run on third base, Seth struck out two batters and fielded a soft grounder for the third out to send the game into extra innings. We scored four runs in the top of the 7th inning and Seth then pitched to 3 batters - getting them to ground out or pop up for easy outs. The kids had fallen down earlier in the day and learned that they could get back up and dust themselves off.
March Mayhem Southern Utah Baseball Tournament 9U Champions



That's why we do it.....good post, good fun. I'm loving getting to whatever I can and hearing about the rest. I love getting these kids off the couch, outside, and away from technology....any way we can. Way to go Wells Fam.. You're awesome.
ReplyDelete