Sunday, May 4, 2014

Iron Cinco Derby

 This post covers a couple of weeks...which seems to becoming a habit.  Anyway, Jack turned big 7 on April 25th.  No big hulaballoo, just a happy boy.  We're so glad Jack is part of our family.  To celebrate, I watched the home video of the day he was born at Norton Suburban hospital in Louisville Kentucky.   We were hoping for a girl, but are very blessed to have a Jack.
 While Jack was celebrating his birthday by having dinner at Dickies, I enjoyed another boy scout camping adventure with Drew's scout troop.  We went up to Baker Dam and it was a night of ferocious wind until about 2am and then steady soaking rain.  I'm not the greatest camper but I do love being outdoors and being with the youth...
 ...all 16 of them! (the other 5 or 6 boys couldn't make it for various reasons)  I slept in the van on a mattress but feel like I slept less than the boys did in their tents in the rain.

 At Laynee's request - a tribute to finishing a long project about Puerto Rico.
 It's Iron weekend here in St. George and Kyle gives us a reason to come out and support, otherwise we'd probably avoid the crowds and chaos.  The Burgess home gives us a great camp (even though they despise the location of the various races that run by their home on Diagonal).
 Kyle has been a busy man as of late - becoming Dean, finishing finals and graduation, and moving his family to Hawaii for 10 weeks while he teaches at BYU Hawaii.  He tells us that this year was more difficult than last year but we all know he did better than we could.  Oh, and while we were waiting for Kyle, we all witnessed a very scary bike wreck right in front of us.  The woman was ok, but didn't finish the race.
 Shana does a great job at keeping our Kentucky years close to our hearts by making the Kentucky Derby a special event.  She divides up the horses evenly amongst everyone and we all cheer them on.
 It IS the "most exciting two minutes in sports"
 Can you feel the excitement?!  
Ultimately, California Chrome was the big winner (with 2-1 odds) and I kept the $5 grand prize because I randomly picked him.
 Lauri and James planned and executed a wonderful Cinco de Mayo fiesta which also coupled as a bon voyage celebration for the Hawaii-bound Kyle Wells family.
 A pinata makes any party awesome!
And finally, Laynee was up north at the BYU invitational track meet and had a good safe time - it's always good to have her back home with us.

1 comment:

  1. Man, you guys pack it in. So much excitement and fun and it's been good to be here for some of it and loved every minute. Keep up the good blogging.....it's all good.

    ReplyDelete