We were up early to clean the church. The boys helped out and we all finished up in about an hour with time to spare before our next appointment.
When I was younger, Christmas Eve was undoubtedly the "longest day of the year." I'd sit around looking at the clock wondering when we could go up to Grandma's for our annual Christmas Eve party with all the cousins. So when I got old enough to drive, my sisters and I would pile in the little red mazda truck and go hiking to pass the time, and it always included a hike on the Red Hill - and it's tradition now. There was even one year that I was sick and Traci still twisted my arm enough to take them hiking.
Most of the time it was just me, Lauri, and Traci. The group has grown. We even picked Jeremy up on our way. It was the Sugar Loaf first and then off to the Narrows...
or fat-man's misery, or the devil's buttcrack (as the kids like to call it).
It's the annual test to see if you're still maintaining your girlish figure...and I am. There's one particularly tight spot where it closes in real tight on your chest. I can't remember who it was who said it, but you just have to imagine that the mountain is "giving you a big hug" through that part.
It's not much of a challenge for the little ones. Even Jack, as stout as he is, went through multiple times.

After a quick bite to eat at the Burgess residence, we were off to an afternoon of baseball. Homerun Derby to be exact. This is usually how we spend Christmas afternoon, but with Christmas on Sunday, we changed our schedule. Oh, and it was a gorgeous day. Sunny throughout.

I won.
Finally, the party of parties. Grandma Sullivan has been hosting Christmas Eve gatherings from before I can remember. They used to entail a pinata, singing with bells, treasure hunts from the cemetery to East Elementary, Santa's workshop at the Dixie College, and finally, bringing home a half beef as Grandpa's present to each family. Well, we've added a whole new generation, and I think Grandma is quite satisfied when the last guest makes their way out the door. We do love Grandma Sullivan.
Shana did well in her minute-to-win-it game.
Laynee balancing Ding Dongs on her head...not quite 6 though.
And the night cap down at B Awma's. The kids waiting on the stairs before they can come up and see their presents.
Happy busy day. Fortunately, tomorrow is a day of rest.
Thank you for being so prompt on the happenings of the holidays. I like to see all that has gone on even though we were not present this year. Looks like traditions are still alive and getting even better now that you guys are back to enjoy them with everyone.
ReplyDelete