Sunday, June 10, 2012
The City Pool
As the sun begins to dip behind the Black Hill on another southern Utah summer evening, it's good to have an invitation to swim at the St. George City Pool. The occasion was a cousin's birthday/work party, but we didn't really mind who was or wasn't there - we just love the City Pool and hydrotube.
I told the kids stories about how we used to leave our house bare-footed and run from grassy/shady spot to grassy/shady spot along 7th South til we made it to the edge of the old Dixie High School where we then had to sprint across a sun scorched black top parking lot to make it to the front door of the City Pool.
I remember getting there at 1pm and swimming til 5pm. The mandatory 5 minute rests which came along every hour or so. Occasionally, Mom would splurge and let us buy a yellow hydrotube bracelet which had about 6 to 8 tabs that you would pull off for entrance to the slide.
If we were REALLY lucky, we got a pass to swim and ride the tube all we wanted that day. I was so tired and hungry by the time I got home. My eyes were blood-shot, my hair green, and the undersides of my toes split.
I even split my head open on the diving board as a kid at the City Pool. I was excited that I had learned how to do a backflip but I just didn't quite jump far enough away from the board.
And that was just Monday. It was a Pine Valley weekend with the Wells cousins. The adults ate at Jeff Gardner's Brandin' Iron and the kids had hot dogs and chips at the cabin. The evening ended with me educating Mason on the finer points of a properly roasted smore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good to read about the good times. Can't wait to see everyone in a couple of weeks. Cute pictures and love hearing about the good ol' days.
ReplyDelete