Those who were there will recognize how out-of-order these pictures are - but here we go. James called up Shana months ago and invited us to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary in Scotland by being their tour guide...sure, why not. Janice wasn't about to miss this trip - she's been asking when we were going since I returned from my mission almost 20 years ago...and Jeremy was also in. So with 6 of us, we just decided to book a tour with Trafalgar, and we loved it. The above pic is actually our last day in Scotland. We stayed a couple days beyond the tour and caught a train down to Ayr, one of the villages I served in and attended their church meetings. I recognized a few faces and had a good time catching up with a few of the long-time members - Bobby Bloy, Brother Cairns, Stuart Lang (actually my ward mission leader in East Kilbride).
Touring the Royal Yacht Britannica
Eilean Donan Castle - I would have liked more time at this castle, but this was simple a quick photo stop. Apparently this is the castle used in Maid of Honor.
Part of the tour was a trip to the Isle of Skye. This was on the ferry back to the mainland.
Nikki has met her match with this gardening scheme.
Not sure how detailed I should get concerning this particular location. This is the breathtaking valley of Glencoe - Home of the McDonald Clan and the site of their massacre at the hands of the Campbell Clan. As we pulled up to this location, the tour guide told us that this is undoubtedly the worst piper in all of Scotland, but what do a bunch of Americans know about piping...it was an amazing place. Janice was particularly involved in the whole Scottish experience.
There are actually no guns in Scotland, but I snuck mine in anyway.
This was us getting picked up at the airport and the tour bus we were on for the next few days.
With no sleep for over 24 hours, we hit the ground running. Went straight from the airport to our motel - changed our clothes and hoofed it to church. This is on church grounds and the mission president's home and mission offices in the background.
The Royal Mile in Edinburgh
One of the hi-lites of the trip for me was my early morning runs. I'd wake up around 5 or 6am and go running by myself...hence the selfies. This is atop Arthur's Seat overlooking Edinburgh. Members of the church refer to this as Pratt's Hill because this was where Orson Pratt dedicated Scotland for missionary work.
zzzzzzzzzzz
Edinburgh Castle
Roslyn Chapel - also in one of my old areas. I actually visited this site in my last few weeks of my mission long before it was made popular by the Da Vinci Code. One of the workers said before the book, they would maybe get 30,000 visitors/year and now they have 30,000 visitors/month.
The Edinburgh Military Tattoo - the hi-lite of everyone's trip and one of the reasons we booked this trip for these particular dates in Scotland.
Another early morning run through the streets of Edinburgh - this is Sir Walter Scott's Monument on Princess Street.
A view of Edinburgh Castle from Princess Street.
The street and door of my first flat as a missionary. I'm grateful to have had the time to get back to these places where I was so far from anything familiar and so dependent upon my Heavenly Father. The smells and sights of these streets provided a sensory overload of memories. Love that Caledonian Distillery.
17th fairway at St. Andrews golf course
Laggan - and on the highest peak behind Shana is Cluny McPherson's monument which I woke up and ran and climbed to on another morning run. Saw a herd of red deer as well.
James enjoying a little Jack and Coke
Glengoyne Whisky Distillery
Definitely a hi-lite of the tour was this Scottish feast with story-telling, music, and singing. Really fun last night with our tour.
Resting and shopping in the village of Pitlochry
Pub-kiss (how do I edit Jeremy out of this picture)
Rebel siblings
Another photie at Roslyn Chapel
Sassie Shana
Stirling Castle - Really enjoyed this place as well. This is the part of Scotland with rich history involving William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. Many monuments to William Wallace here.
It was an amazing trip. I'm glad to make it back after nearly 20 years gone. Everyone had a good time. The food...well, they were glad to see a KFC, Pizza Hut, and McDonald's when we pulled into Glasgow.
















Thanks for that post. Long time coming but I enjoyed it so much. That's the first I've actually heard about your trip so thanks again. Welcome back...from Scotland and to blogging. I've missed your posts.
ReplyDelete