Sunday, October 12, 2014

Round two...

 ...that's what this marathon was for me.  My first marathon was two years ago and it was a good experience, but it was not what I would call a fun experience.  In fact, it hurt a lot...both during the race and for many days to follow.  I learned a few valuable lessons from the first race which made this race much more enjoyable, namely:  1) caffeine is a bowel stimulant 2) training really helps 3) the miles fly by when I'm talking to some one.  So this year, I trained pretty consistently with my good friend The Troy.  I don't think we had any specific goals or huge expectations, especially since we were both coming off fairly miserable marathon experiences.  The above is our #startinglineselfie.  Much like Dr. Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park, 'Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.'  (and for some theres pain, crying, vomitting and diarrhea.)

The race was a blast.  I asked Troy if we could share stories the whole way and I talked his ear off (I feel sorry for him), but when I was talking, I hardly noticed that I was running.  I felt strong through mile 23 and that's when The Troy unhooked the trailer (me).  He finished about 5 minutes ahead of me but we both agreed, it was a good race.


This is the elation at the end of the race.  Mason was there waiting for me because he was there to see   Mandy cross 30 minutes before me.  I was so grateful to the friends, family, and co-workers along the race to give me a cheer.  I don't know how or why it helps so much, but it really does. Oh, and Kyle and Mason will surely be there next year as they were nursing injuries (being a spectator is not that fun).
And to top it off, pre-priesthood session chinese with my brothers, Drew, and friends. 

2 comments:

  1. Good times....glad I was there. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for this post. Took you long enough! JK This is Lauri. Good work!

    ReplyDelete