Sunday, February 26, 2012

No Big Woop...

...that's what this weekend was. Not saying we didn't have fun, just didn't hit any new hikes, although I did learn of a few that will be around the corner.

This is Seth, Seffie, or Boopie (as only I'm allowed to call him). He has shown more interest in baseball than any of my kids thus far. Each day when I get home from work, he's asking to go to the baseball fields and hit, or go out in the street and hit pop-flies to him. So I promised him that this weekend we'd go over to Aaron's house and hit in the batting cage.


Back when I was in Little League, my Dad and Keith Reber revolutionized coaching by putting a batting cage and pitching machine in the Reber's back yard. Nobody did that back then (and I'm sure the neighbors wished they wouldn't have). I remember waking up at 6am in the summer and riding my bike by myself over to hit balls...maybe it was 7am. I think the Rebers finally had to put a limit on how early we could fire up the machine - it was not quiet. I know Nate Andrus and the Reber boys used that machine the most, but those were good times.


Seth got particularly excited when I told him that Dad used to pay us if we could hit the ball right back at the machine. After all, money is Seth's first love.


I'm always telling the boys to "keep your eye on the ball" and "watch the ball 'til it hits the bat," so this was a good picture to show Seth that he need's to keep his eyes open. He caught on pretty quick and nearly hit the machine twice. When he didn't hit the ball on the sweet spot of the bat and it rattled his hands, he looked at me while rubbing his hands wondering why the bat shocked him.


Even though he didn't hit the machine, we did hit Mr. D's for a slushee afterwards. He's raising his slushee to many years of baseball to come (I hope).


And finally, Shana and I have been doing the Parade of Homes thing this year. We've never participated before, but it's been fun to get out together and look at the different homes and neighborhoods. It's not as though we're going to buy one of these houses (or even could), but there are always bits and pieces that we like about each of them and hope to include in our home someday...


...like this infinite pool overlooking the peasants on the valley floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment